You have an eCommerce store and you want it to earn more money. Sounds familiar? You hire the best digital marketing consultant you can find so that you achieve maximum Search Engine Optimization. Your site visits increase. But your sales still lag. What’s the problem?
To begin with, SEO is only the first step in growing your online sales. Theoretically, more visits should produce better results. After all, if you’re selling widgets, your visitors most likely are in the market for widgets. But there’s another factor to consider, and that’s the number of visits that do not convert to sales. And even more important, the number of abandoned shopping carts, or visitors who were on the verge of becoming customers, but then, for whatever reason, did not hit the “Buy” button.
Shopping cart abandonment is common. Too common, if it’s your cart being abandoned. But you’re not alone. The statistics for the second quarter of 2017, the latest available, indicate that the average the average of abandoned shopping carts for online retail orders is an astounding 77%.
Why so high? There are a number of reasons, but the top five include:
- Resistance to shipping cost and delivery times. Some consumers neglect to factor shipping costs into their budgets and get sticker shock when they see the cost.
- The need to create a new user account. This is just a tedious and annoying task and should be omitted if possible.
- Just “window shopping” with intent to buy later. If just window shopping, why did they get all the way to check out?
- Worried about payment security. With today’s Internet breeches getting so much publicity, the shopper must be convinced that his or her personal payment information is safe.
- Checkout procedure is too long and too complicated. What’s easy for sophisticated online shopping veterans might be difficult for the online shopping novice.
If you engage a truly expert eCommerce partner, you can overcome or at least minimize the effect of each of the top five purchase-killers. Working together, you can formulate a strategy to address all five:
- Shipping costs are shipping costs, and short of buying your own fleet of trains, trucks and planes, they are unavoidable. However, what you can avoid is the unpleasant surprise that consumers experience when the shipping costs are displayed at the last minute. Be upfront- let them know what the shipping costs will be well before they get to that “Buy” button.
- Streamline your new account creation process, or eliminate it altogether and have consumers avoid registering and simply make purchases as guests.
- Window shopping? Why not have your site generate a coupon code that will offer them a discount if they buy before they “fly”? And, how about follow-up emails to lure them back to your site when the time is right to buy?
- The payment security issue should be easy to handle, just make sure your encryption provider’s logo is displayed on your website and make sure you tell the consumer that all payment information is encrypted.
- Your website needs to be clean, clear and attractive, with thorough product descriptions and illustrations. Likewise, your checkout procedures should not require more than two clicks. Any more than that will turn your potential customers into angry, frustrated would-be customers. Remember, the more that the shopper is required to do, the less likely they will be to buy from you.
The greatest thing about e-Commerce
In order to sell online, you don’t have to know technology. You only need to know your own business. And, you don’t have to spend lots of money. With a little help from the right partner, you can play on the same field as companies exponentially larger than yours, and you can succeed.
That’s why your first order of business should be to engage with Adeo Web, the eCommerce company that can help make your business a bona fide eCommerce presence. Adeo Web will work with you to develop an eCommerce store that is appealing, secure, easy-to-navigate and, most importantly, easy to buy from (with reduced rate of abandoned shopping carts too!). Adeo Web: Agile development methodology, great customer service, and unsurpassed expertise. And all at a price that won’t break the bank.
Interested in learning more? Subscribe to our newsletter!