“Why are we fighting?”– Mick Jagger, Altamont Music Festival, 1969
“Why are we procrastinating?”– Adeo Web Sales Director, 2019
The Time is Now!
There’s no point beating around the bush and taking the “warm and fuzzy” approach. It’s time to get going on the upgrade to Magento 2!!! I know, there are alternative platforms out there. One of the most popular ones just made the news this past week when it experienced a major outage for the second time this year, not to mention the other thirty or so malfunctions that the company describes as “Incidents.” Nobody’s perfect, not even Magento, but the other platforms aren’t panaceas. So, think twice before you abandon your Magento store.
The Issue at Hand
Magento 2 is markedly superior to Magento 1. It’s faster, cleaner, more secure, has better search, better functionality and will continue to have the biggest developer community in the universe (well, the solar system, anyway.) It doesn’t push out automatic (read: invisible) upgrades that cause your site to malfunction, and it is exponentially more extensible and scalable than any of its competitors. That’s why Magento remains the number one eCommerce platform in the world.
And Always Getting Better
Can anyone think of a better company to have as a parent than Adobe? For Magento, this means a solid financial foundation and stability of leadership, not to mention the resources that go with being part of one of the world’s great technology companies. Anyone who abandons Magento because of problems in the pre-Adobe era is jumping off the boat just as it is about to set sail for Shangri-La.
Yes, there are bad systems integrators out there, but…
They’re in business largely because YOU put them there. In an effort to “save” money, you trusted your eCommerce store to “a guy who knows a guy who can do Magento” or a “trusted local source who is going to do the migration for half of what you guys are proposing.” True story: We recently won a job wherein we proposed around 400 hours. The decision-maker told us one company bid one fifth of that, 80 hours. What??? Are they using superhuman robots from another planet? Another true story: we proposed a very aggressive price to do a migration that involved integration to an accounting program no one ever heard of; we lost the job to a company that said they could do it for one third of our price. Our price was a fixed bid; theirs was time and materials.
Why does this matter? Because I firmly believe that most botched Magento projects occur because clients hire sub-par developers in their haste to save money. These companies tell a great story, but drop the ball once the game starts. And, since all of these lowball bids are based on time and materials, the projects take longer and cost more than the “too expensive” proposals the client got from straightforward bidders. On the other hand, from our perspective, there’s nothing wrong with doing “rescue work” on botched projects. But this should never be necessary.
Yes, there are great systems integrators out there, too…
I should know. I compete with them every day. I’d name a few, but that might give you ideas. And, you don’t need them as long as you can engage with Adeo Web. Here are some of the things that set us apart:
- Rates. We are neither the lowball nor the high-price provider. Our rates are competitive, but the value we bring to the table is singularly spectacular (It’s not bragging if it’s true.)
- Our development is done in Kaunas, Lithuania, and our developers are 100% Adeo Web employees, not a bunch of itinerant mercenaries working out of a shipping container in a far-off port. And our developers are bi-lingual (like almost everyone else in Lithuania) so communication issues are very rare.
- Lithuania is a tech hotspot. It was recently called “the Silicon Valley of the 21st century” by a major business publication. Google and Nasdaq are just two of the companies with major investments there.
- Magento experience. We’ve been working with Magento for just under ten years. We’ve been through the ups and downs with Magento and have evolved with it. As one of our customers said, “It’s great to work with a company that ‘gets it’”. We get it. We’ve also built over 200 custom extensions for Magento clients, and done some of the weirdest integrations imaginable (Can you say, “FileMaker Pro”?)
- Upgrade experience. We’re rapidly heading for Magento2 upgrade number 40 for our team. We know the ropes and how to avoid the pitfalls. We anticipate problems before they happen and prevent them. In all cases, we know what options the client has, and what the best practices are. We’re not just developers, we’re consultative experts.
- We’re on a mission to be the best. Every project, no matter how large or how small, is viewed as a stepping stone to accomplishing that mission.
So, face the music. Avoidance is a potentially terminal disease
And there’s no reason for it. Magento 1x will be totally out of support in just a few months. “Off support” means no more new development, no more improvements and NO MORE SECURITY PATCHES! The business you lose could be your own.
Beyond the scary possibility of security vulnerabilities, the benefits of Magento 2 (some are mentioned above) are plentiful, and the migration can be remarkably hassle free IF you choose Adeo Web. After all, when all is said and done, we’re on a mission.
And you should be on a mission, as well; to have the absolute best and most profitable eCommerce store you can.
Contact Adeo Web today and we’ll take the first step, a no-cost analysis and proposal to migrate your site to Magento 2.